Managing Consultant and UX Design Lead
for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
I founded the UX design practice for USCIS Verifications Modernization program comprising three multi-million dollar projects.
Case Processing Time Decreased by 30%
Overall Satisfaction Increased by 85%
Enrollment Time Decreased by 45%
Early wireframe for a case information page
Director of Operations and President
Pyramid Digital Productions, Inc.
I successfully built and operated the first all-digital recording/composing facility in the greater Washington DC area, Pyramid Digital Productions, Inc. The company generated profit within two years.
Product Owner for Data Services Platform
for the International Trade Administration (ITA)
I directed a diverse team of developers, designers, and business leads in building the Product Owner for Data Services Platform (DSP) from the ground up.
DSP touted by both Secretary of Commerce, Penny Pritzker, and the Department’s Chief Data Officer as the exemplary data initiative for their agencies to follow. Three of the top U.S. shipping companies have integrated multiple DSP APIs into their custom software. The DSP supports traffic surges of over 300,000 hits a day.
Product Manager for the Business Gateway (BG) Web Properties
The President’s eGov Initiative
I led a user first / data driven approach to the ongoing development of the BG web properties including Business.gov, the premier federal government site for U.S. firms.
Increased Web site traffic by nearly 400% in two years. BG featured in Business Week, The White House Innovations Gallery, and Entrepreneur magazine. Huffington Post awarded BG as one of “Five Places on the Web to Find the Truth.”
Business.gov – Original Site
Business.gov – Three years later using agency’s color palette (sigh)
Presentations and Community Engagement
- Modernization Projects Don’t Have to Suck – DC Full Stack Summit 2017
- Don’t Let Bad UX Kill Your Open Data – UXDC Conference
- Open Data/Open Source: Promoting Social and Economic Good – DC Special Libraries Association
- Enterprise product management
- Voice-of-the-customer stewardship
- Multimedia Web content creation
- Web, data, mobile, and social media strategies
- Business writing
- B.A. Math/Computer Science Wesleyan University
- Continuing Education Computer Science and Multimedia Harvard University
- Certified Scrum Product Owner, 2016
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certified, 2009
- Winner of multiple Peer Awards for Best Composer
- Four time Winner of the Annual Hale Chili Fest (forced into retirement 2011)
- Business writing
- Member of UXPA-DC
- Member of American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
- Member of Television, Internet and Video Association (TIVA – Board Member 2003 to 2004)
- Member of Women in Film & Video (WIFV – one of few male members)